- Embarrassing vaginal odour (sometimes described as smelling ‘fishy’)
- You do not need to be sexually active to get the condition.
How Does Balance Activ Vaginal Gel Work?
Clinically proven for the rapid effective relief of;
- embarrassing odour
- If, for some reason, the balance of the normal bacteria in the vagina is disrupted then you might notice some of the following symptoms:
- Experts estimate that at least 1 in 3 women, and perhaps most women, will develop BV at some point in their life.
It is commonly thought that Thrush is the most common type of vaginal infection, but Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is actually the most frequently occurring vaginal condition in women of childbearing age, and is about twice as common as Thrush.
What causes the balance of bacteria to change?
The vagina is normally quite acidic (pH 3.8 - 4.5)
- Certain things can cause the acidity to be reduced (increasing the pH)
- prolonged menstruation (your period)
- use of IntraUterine Devices (IUD’s, commonly known as the coil)
- This makes it hard for the healthy bacteria to survive, and encourages overgrowth of the unwanted bacteria
- sex without a condom (semen has a higher pH level than the vagina)
Other causes can include having a new sexual partner, multiple sexual partners, same sex sexual partners, the menopause (during and/or directly after) and hormone imbalances.
This bacterial imbalance is not caused by poor hygiene; in fact excessive washing of the vagina may alter the normal balance of bacteria.
BV is not a sexually transmitted infection - any male sexual partners you might have would not need any treatment
- Avoid excessive washing (or douching) of the vagina: this may alter the normal balance of bacteria and may make the symptoms more likely to develop
- Semen is quite alkaline and can alter the natural pH of the vagina encouraging the unwanted overgrowth of bacteria
- Try to avoid using perfumed intimate products as use of these has been linked with disrupting the natural vaginal balance
- Discomfort (normally irritation or soreness in and around the vagina)
So, what is an imbalance?
Different types of bacteria live naturally in the vagina; normally the bacteria present in the largest numbers are lactic acid bacteria
- If the numbers of lactic acid bacteria are reduced, pH levels rise, encouraging the growth of other bacteria
- With normal pH and nutrients, the protective lactic acid bacteria grow and the natural vaginal balance is restored, effectively relieving abnormal discharge and discomfort and stopping the embarrassing odour returning.
These symptoms occur when the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina is disrupted, encouraging certain bacteria to grow to higher levels than normal.
To prevent this from happening try to take the following precautions:
- Use a condom if you notice that sexual intercourse promotes the symptoms
- The main causes in younger women are:
- abnormal discharge
- It also contains glycogen, which provides nutrients for lactic acid bacteria
- Lactic acid bacteria produce acidifying lactic acid which maintains the normal low pH of the vagina, protecting against infection
- This can result in embarrassing odour, abnormal discharge and discomfort in the vagina which are very common problems.
The growth of the unwanted bacteria is a condition known as Bacterial Vaginosis or BV
- by restoring normal pH & vaginal flora
- frequent douching (washing out unwanted organisms along with the normal harmless bacteria)
- Dual action balance activ vaginal gel contains lactic acid, which immediately neutralises the embarrassing odour by restoring the normal pH of the vagina
- Abnormal discharge (often thin and white-grey in colour)
- perfumed intimate products
You should consult your doctor if:
- your symptoms worsen
- you experience pain
- the discomfort does not cease
- the discharge is blood-stained
- the discharge occurs during the menopause
Balance Activ vaginal gel is safe to use during pregnancy, however, you should consult your doctor if you have any of the symptoms of a vaginal infection during pregnancy.
Balance Activ vaginal gel comes in hygienic single use tubes. To use the product, simply twist off the cap of the tube, insert the whole of the neck of the tube into the vagina, and squeeze out the contents. The tube can then be removed and disposed of.
For the rapid, effective relief of embarrassing odour, abnormal discharge and discomfort use 1 tube daily for 7 days.
Many women experience recurrent symptoms, for example around the time of their period, or as a result of antibiotic treatment. balance activ vaginal gel can also be used to maintain the natural acidity of the vagina and prevent recurrence.
Copyright © Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc.
Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc