- It makes a healthy alternative to white and brown sugar while adding a rich flavour to all your baked goods
- Organic coconut palm sugar is a delicious natural sweetener to add to your pantry
- It is an unrefined sugar made from the nectar of the coconut palm tree flower in a simple, safe process that leaves the palm sugar raw and organic
- No chemicals are used in the process and the sugar is not cooked at extremely high temperatures, keeping organic coconut palm sugar paleo-approved for special diets
- Coconut palm sugar production is also more environmentally friendly than that of cane sugar
- It uses one-fifth the amount of nutrients for production, and coconut palm trees make up to 75% more sugar per acre than sugar cane
- That’s a lot more sugar with a lot less resources!
Is Coconut Palm Sugar Healthy?
Organic coconut sugar is surprisingly much healthier than cane sugar and other sweeteners, especially the artificial varieties. Because coconut palm sugar is unrefined and less processed, it retains nutrients that are present in the palm flowers it’s harvested from. These nutrients include zinc, calcium, potassium, iron, and numerous vitamins and antioxidants.
When it comes to organic palm sugar vs white sugar, organic palm sugar easily takes the cake (and a tasty one at that). Coconut palm sugar has a low glycemic index of 35 because it is composed of long chain saccharides called sucrose, which are absorbed much more slowly than the refined short chain saccharides in table sugar. Coconut sugar also contains inulin which helps to slow glucose absorption in the body. The slower absorption causes fewer and smaller spikes in blood sugar.
The health benefits of coconut palm sugar don’t stop there. It is a low-carb, healthy sugar substitute option for many people; however, you should still be aware that it is not a magic substance that lets you eat as much sugar as you want.
All sugars should be limited for good over-all health, and people with diabetes or other health conditions should still keep careful watch of their insulin levels. Studies show that no matter what kind of sugar or sweetener you choose for your diet, you shouldn’t consume more than 5% of your total daily calories from sweeteners, which is only about three tablespoons per day.
Coconut sugar health benefits are still better than those of other sugars due to the vitamins and minerals that are included in the natural sugar. And it’s 100% organic, so you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals in your food.
How to Use Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
Coconut palm sugar is so easy to use. It has the same basic chemical makeup of table sugar, so it can be used in a one-to-one ratio for all of your recipes without any alterations. Coconut palm sugar has a slight caramel and butterscotch taste, similar to the taste of brown sugar.
Coconut palm sugar recipes do sometimes play up the taste of coconut to emphasize the use of coconut sugar, but your usual recipes likely won’t taste any different than if you were to use brown sugar.
Better Body Foods Inc.
BetterBody Foods Inc.