- Hi, I’m Cathy and if you read my story you will hear how I began my journey from full time housewife and mother of six to entrepreneur
- It started with a shock – quite literally!
- When my children had all left the nest I wanted to keep myself busy so I worked as a home help in our community
- I looked after several ladies who need an extra helping hand and I really enjoyed it
- However little did I know it would come to such an abrupt end when one day myself and Mrs Horan whom I had just finished cleaning for were sitting down to a nice cup of tea and some fruit cake when all of a sudden I felt my tongue swelling in my mouth
- I rushed to the doctor, Mrs Horan beside me both terrified
- I collapsed in the doctors surgery and before I knew where I was I was fighting for my life in Naas hospital having suffered a severe allergic attack, anaphylaxis
- In the days and weeks that followed, I was on an exclusion diet as I was tested to identify what precisely in my diet was causing the problem
- Wheat was one of the items excluded
- I never found out what caused the reaction and I still carry an anapen to this day
- I became very tired of rice and was afraid to eat anything so I went into my local health food shop in Tinahely and discovered spelt flour
- I didnt drive until I was in my mid forties and with six children and no shops to pop into as I lived in the country I baked alot! I baked bread every day and I began experimenting with spelt flour
- My first customer was the local health shop, where I had been sourcing the spelt flour
- They asked me if I would bake spelt bread for some of their customers whom were wheat intolerant, and so a cottage business was born
- My next breakthrough came when my daughter Lorraine nominated me for a “Recipe for Success” competition being run by the supermarket group, SuperValu, and the national television station, RTE
- I qualified for the final of the competition, which allowed me to raise the profile of spelt bread and its many beneficial qualities
- Following the television programme I was contacted by stores nationwide and individual consumers looking for my spelt breads
- I knew at this stage I had a market for my spelt bread but didn’t have the money or skills to set up a bakery
- I received so much help from Dermot Kelly, from Kelly’s Bakery in Wexford and our Local Enterprise Office in Wicklow who have been instrumental in our success
- However the bakery was not an option so after a chance phone conversation I decided to put my spelt bread recipes in a bag so that the customers could have freshly baked spelt bread which was ready for the oven in less than five minutes
- Our first bags were labelled by hand but as the demand grew we couldn’t keep up and so moved to a printed bag
Cathy's Spelt for Health Flapjack Spelt Mix - Pack of 10 x 450g
Cathy's Spelt for Health Flapjack Spelt Mix. Cathy's Spelt for Health have developed a wonderful...
Cathy's Spelt for Health Multiseed Spelt Bread Mix - Pack of 10 x 450g
Cathy's Spelt for Health Multiseed Spelt Bread Mix. Cathy's Spelt for Health have developed a...
Cathy's Spelt for Health White Scone Spelt Mix - Pack of 10 x 450g
Cathy's Spelt for Health White Scone Spelt Mix. Cathy's Spelt Scones are lovely and light and you...
Cathy's Spelt for Health Wholemeal Spelt Bread Mix - Pack of 10 x 450g
Cathy's Spelt for Health Wholemeal Spelt Bread Mix. Cathy's Spelt for Health have developed a...