A superfood, chia seeds are a smart way to boost the omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, protein, calcium and antioxidants in your diet.
Tiny (about 1mm diameter) brown and buff oval seeds with a mild flavour and good crunch. Our chia seeds are unprocessed, which means they are a wholegrain food.
Sprinkle on cereal, vegetables and rice dishes; add to cakes, breads and biscuits, and mix into smoothies.
Chia is the Mayan word for ‘strength’ and chia seeds:
- Are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may be important for heart and brain health.
- May lower blood pressure in people with diabetes.
- May raise good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol.
Based on recommended daily intake, just 28g (1oz) of chia seeds provide:
- About a third of the fibre you need.
- Nearly a third of manganese you need.
- Nearly a fifth of calcium you need.
- Nearly a tenth of protein you need.
Per 100g serving
Energy ( kcal) 400
Energy (kJ) 1650
Protein (g) 19
Fat (g) 21
of which saturates (g) 2.1
Carbohydrate (g) 17
of which sugars (g) 11.1
Dietary fibres (g) 32
Sodium (mg) 0
Suitable for vegetarians.