- One of the biggest breakthroughs in immunology has been the recent discovery that the effectiveness of these cellular components has been compromised by our modern lifestyle, and that it can be restored with one of a limited number of immuno-primer compounds which the innate immune cells recognise.
Cells in the innate immune system have no memory, but they do have receptors which recognise a small number of compounds presenting in the cell walls of most pathogens
- Obtained from purified yeast, beta glucan has a long scientific history and a reference list of literally thousands of papers.
Mode of Action
The innate immune system combines physical and chemical barriers, such as the skin, mucociliary escalator of the respiratory tract, acid in the stomach, certain fatty acids and antibacterial peptides and immune cells such as macrophages and granulocytes
- They do not stimulate the immune cells at all, but merely prepare them for action
- These include lipopolysaccharides, lipotechoic acids, peptidoglycans, flagellin and the 1-3,1-6 beta glucan present in the cell walls of moulds and yeast
- In fact, recent work at Brown University, the Universities of Louisville and Berlin and at the Mayo Clinics has shown that constant stimulation of these receptors is actually necessary to keep the innate immune cells in a fully functional mode, and that the beta glucan in moulds and yeasts is the most effective of all the immuno-primers, acting via the CR3 receptor which occurs on all innate immune cells.
These compounds are called ‘immuno-primers’ rather than the older term ‘immuno-stimulants’, which is inaccurate and misleading
- For innate immune effector cells (such as macrophages or neutrophil granulocytes) to phagocytose and kill pathogens most effectively, the CR3 receptor must be occupied; supplying beta glucan in pure form to occupy this receptor is simply getting the immune cells ready to act as and when it is appropriate for them to do so.
- These receptors enable the innate immune cells to recognise the vast majority of potential pathogens, and respond rapidly and effectively to them
Beta 1-3, 1-6 Glucan 250.0mg
Use higher levels with caution in those with auto-immune conditions. Although there is research data supporting the use of beta glucan in autoimmune diseases, the product has the potential to stimulate “b” lymphocytes, and as such could be contraindicated in some auto-immune conditions. Our experience and that of our medical team is that to date, in 8 years of usage, we have not seen an auto-immune flare up when a patient has been given this product. But in the interests of due diligence we advise observation and monitoring of patients in this category, particularly at outset of treatment on doses above 350mg total.
Application and use in practice
1-3,1-6 Beta Glucan is a safe and effective supplement for use in the treatment and prevention of dental infections. In acute infective situations it should be used at a level of 2-3 capsules daily for the first 3-5 days, and then the dose reduced to 1-2 daily until resolved. To help prevent recurrence of infections in immune-compromised patients or in those awaiting treatment, it is recommended that patients maintain a level of 1 capsule per day until better health is achieved or remedial dental treatment has taken place and full resolution has occurred. 1-3,1-6 Beta Glucan can be used as a single supplement, but is most effective when combined with a total nutritional support programme which will lead to a rapid and sustained improvement in oral health.
CYTOPLAN is a unique science-based supplement company exclusively supplying the needs of health care professionals and their patients. Cytoplan was founded in 1990, by practitioners with many years experience in nutrition science.
Our emphasis is on quality, innovation and efficacy of product and Cytoplan has been a leader in the field of food-based supplementation for many years. We work closely with Doctors and scientists to produce products, which are highly bio-effective, truly innovative and backed by research and studies. We have a reputation for quality, integrity, innovation and excellent service.
Our major shareholder is a charitable organisation and we make regular donations of supplements to charities and those in need. We aim to make a significant contribution to the health of our customers and this is more important to us than profit.
All our products are conceived by common sense, grounded in science and proven with results. Cytoplan products are for those who are serious about health, trust that nature holds the key to real health and want a company they can believe in.
We currently have in excess of 3,500 practitioners and medical Doctors ordering from Cytoplan.