- Kids take turns tossing self-stick balls, catching them with the sticky catcher's mitts, and playing fun phonics games about the letters on each ball
- It's a phonemic awareness home run
- Games include:
- Letter Line Up - "What letter is that?"
- Ace the Sound - "What sound does that letter make?"
- Beginning Sounds Catch - "Say a word that begins with that sound!"
- Ending Sounds Catch - "Say a word that ends with that sound!"
- Middle Sounds Catch - "Say a word that has that sound in the middle!"
- Word Catch - "Can you make a word with the letters you caught?"
- Round Robin Play - "All questions above are asked as a group of kids tosses and catches the balls
- 4 catcher's mitts
- 26 soft, self-stick alphabet balls featuring upper- and lowercase letters and teacher's guide with 7 interactive games
- Practices letter names, sounds and beginning phonics
Setting Up Teams
• Two teams of two players: Each player has his or her own mitt. Give each
team half the balls.
• Four teams of two players: One player is the “pitcher.” The pitcher throws the
ball, but does not have a mitt. The other player is the “catcher.” The catcher
uses the mitt. Children switch positions when they are done. Give each team
one-fourth of the balls.
Give each team a container of balls. Have teams switch containers when
they are done.
Children have a ball learning alphabet and phonics skills with these fun
Depending on the age and experience of your students, they can play these
games with or without adult assistance.
Letter Line Up
Players take turns tossing balls to one another, naming the letters shown.
Ace the Sound
Players take turns tossing balls to one another, saying letter sounds, such as
/b/, /c/, /d/, etc. Note: Play with consonant balls only.
Beginning Sounds Catch
Players take turns tossing balls to one another, naming words that begin with
the sounds of the letters shown. Note: Play with consonant balls only.
Ending Sounds Catch
Players take turns tossing balls to one another, naming words that end with the
sounds of the letters shown. Note: Play with consonant balls only. In addition,
you may wish to remove letters such as c, h, j, q, v, w, y, and z.
Middle Sounds Catch
Play this game with vowel balls (red) only. Have children take turns throwing
the balls to one another, saying words that have the target vowels in the middle.
Short- and long-vowel words are permitted.
This game is best played with adult supervision. Have four children stand in a
circle with an adult. Toss a ball to Player 1, who identifi es the letter shown.
Player 1 throws the ball to Player 2, who identifi es the letter’s sound. Player 2
throws the ball to Player 3, who says a word that begins with the letter.
Player 3 throws the ball to the last player, who says a word that ends with the
letter, and then tosses the ball back to you. Play rounds until all letters have
been used. Note: Play with consonant balls only.
This game is best played with adult supervision. Reinforce simple short-vowel
word formation. Toss three letters, such as t, c, and a, to a student. Have the
student make the correct word (cat), then throw the balls back to you.
Educational Insights is a leading manufacturer of learning toys and innovative, hands-on educational materials for classrooms worldwide. For nearly 50 years, Educational Insights has been a trusted source for teachers and parents for quality, award-winning educational products in math, science, social studies, language, language arts, reading, early childhood, Spanish, ELL, ESL teaching and classroom management. Our products invite children to explore fine motor skills, social skills, creativity, theme-based learning, imaginative play, time telling, money math and measurement. Product brands include Foamfetti, Hots Dots, PlayForm, GeoSafari, GeoVision, ReMARKable, Classroom Jeopardy, Teaching Tiles and Smart Talk. Product types include games, puzzles, card games, board games, wooden puzzles, classroom kits, electronics, reading manipulatives, math manipulatives, pocket charts, activity books, activity kits, science kits, teacher resources and classroom organization tools.