- Many medical experts now consider homocysteine levels a more useful predictor of potential health problems than cholesterol.
Homocysteine is now considered a risk factor in several disease states, elevated levels of homocysteine have been linked to increased risk of development of a number of common and potentially fatal conditions including coronary heart disease and dementia.
Homocysteine has also been shown to play a crucial role as a key marker for disease development determining longevity and health throughout a person's life.
The methyl group cycle produces homocysteine and requires adequate intakes of methyl donor groups from the diet to transform homocysteine back into methionine and glutathione.
The average Western diet has an excess of protein and low intake of foods from the methyl group
- At 5mg inclusion it will not give those already taking a multiformula excessive intake
- Foods containing higher levels are sugar beet, spinach, prawns, shrimps and eggs.
The principal dietary sources of methyl groups are betaine, choline, methionine and the vitamins B6, B12 and folic acid.
The absence or reduced levels of methyl groups in the diet result in increased levels of homocysteine and the subsequent health risks
- One recent study found that people who ate high levels of folic acid were 69% less at risk of a fatal heart attack than those whose
intake was low.
Sadly, B vitamin deficiency is all too common, and this explains why excessive levels of homocysteine are so common.
We have used the best available evidence to formulate our product to be optimally supportive
- In addition we have included vitamim B6 in its normal food form as pyridoxine and also as pyridoxal 5 phosphate, the enzymatically converted hence immediately bioavailable form of B6
- Elevated homocysteine levels are often found in people who regularly consume alcohol
- Most of us, however, do not consume much betaine, and in this situation the B vitamins become the next line of defence
- What is Homocysteine?
Homocysteine is a naturally occurring amino acid produced in the body by the chemical conversion of methionine
- It contains the methyl donors, betaine, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12 and zinc
- All of these ingredients also support the nervous system and detoxification pathways in the body
- We do recommend that this product is taken alongside one of our regular multiformulae.
- There is an amount of evidence to show that some people with high homocysteine levels lack the enzyme necessary to convert pyridoxine to its metabolically active form, so this dual inclusion is a safeguard for those people.
Zinc has been added to help protect and support those who drink alcohol regularly
- Zinc is used in the enzyme that detoxifies alcohol, and hence these people often have a greater need for the mineral
- Scientists have also discovered that a number of people have an inefficient enzyme responsible for converting homocysteine back into the methyl group cycle.
How Our New Homocysteine Formula can help:
As an excellent methyl donor, betaine is very effective at lowering levels of homocysteine
Nutrient Per tablet / %RDA
Betaine 500mg / *
Riboflavin 3mg / 187
Vitamin B6 as
Pyridoxal 5 phosphate 15mg / 750
Folic Acid 400µg / 200
Vitamin B12 1000µg / 1000
Zinc 5mg / 33
%RDA = Recommended Daily Allowance
* = No RDA
Whilst we endeavour to use MINIMUM excipients in our products it is still necessary for us to use inert flow agents in some of our fomulae - mainly the tablets. The ingredients used are:magnesium stearate and stearic acid and zein is used as a coating. All of these are non-allergic and inert and are only used in micro quantities.
Our powder formulae are generally free from excipients as are many of our encapsulated formulae.
The daily dose is 1 capsule with food.
Nature's Own are committed to offering the most effective products possible. We work with Doctors and Practitioners, as well as the general public, and it is vital that everything we do is the best and most natural possible.
Our most important commitment is to create and sell products that are as close to nature as possible.
The main difference between Nature's Own and other companies is that we sell our vitamin and mineral products in a Food State. This means they work in the body like food, which means the body knows how to use them to nourish whichever part of the body is in need. Chemical isolate products (most other on the market) do not work WITH the body in the same way. They are alien structures to the body, as all the nutrition the body is used to is part of a food complex (vitamin C contained in an apple or orange etc). This is how it is with Food State nutrition.
As an example, our vitamin C comes complete with a full range of Bioflavonoids just as you would find in a healthy juicy orange. This makes it much more effective as an antioxidant, and is why the ORAC score (a measure of its antioxidant capability) is much higher than the same does of vitamin C as a chemical.
We believe this makes our Food State nutrition ideal for long term supplement usage. This is also our experience with our customers. You are effectively taking your supplement in a concentrated food form, so it will not upset the body, and can safely be taken as the much needed top up to our nutrition intake each day to fill the very real nutrition gap.
© Copyright Nature's Own Ltd