- When you take FOS it passes through your digestive system undigested until it reaches your bowel where the friendly bacteria use it as a food source
- The result is a rapid growth in the ‘friendly’ bacteria, such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus species.
After just 2 weeks of taking 8g of FOS daily, research has shown that it can significantly increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut by up to 10 times which explains why FOS is described as a ‘prebiotic’
- It is a sweet soluble powder that can be mixed in to cold or hot drinks, sprinkled on cereals or eaten off the spoon.
- FOS consists of a special soluble fibre called Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), which is found in many vegetables such as chicory and onions
- Many researchers working in this area believe that prebiotic products are greatly undervalued compared to the popularity of probiotics.
FOS is extracted from chicory roots and is suitable for all ages, including children and pregnant women, as well as those on yeast-free diets and those on medication, and can be used on a long term basis
If any of these intake levels cause excessive flatulence then reduce the dose and gradually build up. The flatulence is a positive sign that FOS has reached the bowel and is feeding your ‘friendly’ bacteria. As the bacteria consume FOS a gas is produced which can lead to some flatulence at first, however, after a few days this will disappear as further ‘friendly’ bacteria develop and absorb the gases. For intakes over 10g (or 5g in children); dividing the intake into 2 daily doses, 1 at each end of the day, will help reduce flatulence.
FOS may cause temporary bloating. This is a short-term effect and once your system ‘speeds up’ the bloating will disappear. If bloating continues for more than 3 days then reduce the daily intake of FOS.
Suitable for vegetarians.
(1 heaped teaspoon = 5g) This product may be used in one of two ways: (i) At low doses FOS acts as a prebiotic (bowel-‘conditioner’) and (ii) At larger doses FOS conditions the bowel and also helps maintain regularity.
(bowel‘conditioner’): Initial Dose: Maintenaince Dose:
Adults: 5g 10g
Children 4 years & up: 2.5g 5g
To condition the bowel
and help maintain
regularity : Initial 3 day Dose: Normal Full Dose: Max Daily Dose:
Adults: 5g Try 15g 20g
Children 4 years & up: 2.5g 5g 10g
Dissolve in hot drinks or sprinkle onto cereal. Alternatively simply take it ‘off the spoon’. Be sure to drink at least 2 litres of fluids a day.
To be stored in a cool, dry place and protected from light.