- It has been demonstrated that elements in Vitex bind to specific receptor sites in the pituitary gland
- In other words Vitex lowers the levels of prolactin in the body
- It can take months for some women to re-establish a normal cycle
- These are both conditions that respond to oestrogen, or in other words get worse in the presence of oestrogen
- So apart from PMS itself Vitex is indicated in the treatment of:
- This is when your periods have stopped altogether due to some other process
- A typical example would be after coming off the pill
- Some cases of infertility are due to low progesterone, poor corpus luteum health or high prolactin
- The pill basically provides the female hormones itself and the ovaries shut down
- This of course allows the corpus luteum to develop fully and produce adequate amounts of progesterone relative to the oestrogen produced in the first half of the cycle.
Time and time again in clinical trials Vitex has been shown to reduce the whole gamut of PMS symptoms.
It is also important to state that progesterone deficiency or prolactin excess plays a part in other conditions and Vitex may help in the treatment of those complaints also
- Vitex kicks the whole cycle off most effectively and quickly.
- Secondary amenorrhoea
- Vitex agnus-castus contains many interesting chemicals, among them flavonoids, flavones, essential oil and iridoids
- Once bound, a lowering of prolactin levels follows
- Vitex often works wonders in these circumstances.
- By taking Vitex you can shift the balance toward progesterone.
- Fibroids and endometriosis
- If your periods are not regular try Vitex
- By balancing the second half of the cycle against the first it can help regulate an inconsistent cycle length.
- Varying cycle length
Vitex is a very safe herb with no side effects. It should though be avoided in the following instances:
- If taking progesterone type drugs or the contraceptive pill.
- It would also be wise to avoid Vitex if you suffer a hormone dependent cancer such as breast, uterus or ovary.
Take 40 drops of Swiss Herbal Remedies Vitex tincture, mixed with a little cold water, first thing in the morning only. There is no added benefit from taking more during the day.
The survey of herbalists revealed that most women given Vitex improve in the first 4-8 weeks and total treatment course time can be up to 24 months.
During 1997 the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (UK), the oldest and foremost association of herbalists in Europe sent out a questionnaire to its members regarding their use of the herb Vitex agnus-castus. Vitex has been used by herbalists and physicians since at least the middle-ages, and it has always been applied to the treatment of female ailments. The herb is of Southern European origin but is now widely cultivated, and its use in the treatment of female problems even spread to the USA.
Research into the activity of Vitex was commenced by the Germans in the 1930's and many clinical trials have been done on the herb and its effects on menstrual cycle abnormalities since then.
In response to the questionnaire, 98% of herbalists reported Vitex to be the number one herb for the treatment of PMS and its associated symptoms, rating it as 'very effective'. This was a very important survey on the use of a single herb as many PMS sufferers are seen by herbalists around the country on a daily basis.
Swiss Herbal Remedies
Swiss Herbal Remedies Ltd