- Certain nutrients can play an important role during lactation and production of milk for your baby.
Why take Pregnacare® Breast-feeding?
• The formula provides the ideal follow-on product for mums after childbirth, as part of the complete Pregnacare®, range from conception to breast-feeding.
• Pregnacare® Breast-feeding is a carefully balanced comprehensive formulation of micronutrients to help safeguard healthy milk production in women including specific supporting nutrients e.g
- Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contains the recommended 10mcg vitamin D3, the full RNI of 700mg calcium and 300mg DHA, the recommended level for lactation.
PATENT PENDING FORMULA
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding has been specially formulated by experts to provide sensible, balanced levels of vitamins and minerals
- All ingredients have been included on the basis of scientific research with ideal amounts for pregnancy and breast-feeding.
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding provides:
• 700mg calcium, plus magnesium and vitamin D3 which are also important for healthy bone development.
• Iron, B complex to help support new blood formation following labour and for energy release at a time when there are considerable demands on a new mum.
• Specific micronutrients to help safeguard a mum’s nutrition while breast-feeding.
Each capsule provides 300mg DHA, the level recommended by international experts for mums during lactation.
• DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) supplied from the mother’s breast milk plays an essential role in the new baby’s brain and eye development
- Maternal breast-feeding is strongly recommended for the newborn baby as it provides essential nutrients and antibodies for long term health
- calcium, and vitamins D3 and K.
• Pregnacare® Breast-feeding can also be taken as a general postnatal supplement for 6-9 months following childbirth, to replace depleted nutrients and assist the body following pregnancy, even if you are not breast-feeding.
• For mothers who avoid dairy products, the formula also contains calcium to help maintain bone health
• Intake recommendations of certain nutrients are increased during lactation
- DHA is required for optimum brain function and signalling and learning ability in later life.
• Contains the purest pharmaceutical grade fish oil, produced in Norway.
- Infants have limited capability to synthesize fatty acids, which therefore must be obtained direct from
external sources such as the mother’s milk.
• During breast-feeding, the infant’s brain continues to take up DHA and 15% of brain growth occurs after birth
• No artificial colours
• No preservatives
• No gluten
• No lactose
• No salt or yeast
• Not tested on animals
Nutritional Information Av. Per 2 tablets / % RDA:
- Post-natal micronutrient tablets:
Vitamin D (as D3 400IU) 10mcg / 200
Vitamin E (Natural Source) 20 mg / 200
Vitamin C 70 mg / 117
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) 5 mg / 357
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 2 mg / 125
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 20 mg / 111
Vitamin B6 10 mg / 500
Folic Acid 400 mcg / 200
Vitamin B12 6 mcg / 600
Pantothenic Acid 6 mg / 100
Vitamin K 70 mcg / --
Calcium 700mg / 88
Iron 16 mg / 114
Selenium 30 mcg / --
Magnesium 150 mg / 50
Zinc 15 mg / 100
Iodine 140 mcg / 93
Copper 1000 mcg / --
Biotin 150 mcg / 100
Betacarotene (natural source) 2 mg / --
- Pregnacare Omega-3 Capsules Average Per Capsule / % RDA:
Omega-3 Fish Oil 600 mg
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 300 mg / --
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 60 mg / --
mg - milligram, mcg - microgram, I.U. - International Units,
RDA - Recommended Daily allowance (EC)
Two Pregnacare® Breast-feeding tablets per day, plus one Omega-3 capsule per day. Swallow each with a glass of water or a cold drink with your main meal. Not to be chewed. Do not exceed the recommended intake. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding tablets and capsules should only be taken on a full stomach.
You can start taking Pregnacare® Breast-feeding at any point after childbirth and can be used for as long as required during and after breast-feeding.
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding does not contain any drugs or hormones and is produced in accordance with high pharmaceutical standards of quality control, beyond those normally required for food supplements.
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding has been carefully developed by experts so that all ingredient levels are within safe levels for pregnancy and are moderate rather than excessive
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding has been specifically formulated with an ideal, moderate level of iron and avoids high doses
As Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contains Vitamin K , if you are taking oral anticoagulants (eg Warfarin) do not take Pregnacare® Breast-feeding except on the advice of a doctor. Vitamin K is not known to specifically interact with the action of asprin or heparin.
Vitabiotics has manufactured innovative health care products for over 30 years; a British company committed to human health and research.
Based in London, Vitabiotics has created a unique portfolio of products at the forefront of scientific developments in key sectors, including nutrition and women's health.
Designed to provide maximum efficacy by supporting the human body in its own natural processes, each product is developed using the latest research available, and produced to the highest pharmaceutical standards.
Innovation is the key to Vitabiotics' success. This means keeping at the leading edge of international research on the one hand, while remaining sensitive to specific consumer needs on the other.
Vitabiotics has a profound commitment to translating the latest scientific advancements into effective products, which are fully integrated with modern consumer lifestyles. Vitabiotics' brand portfolio includes some of the fastest growing supplements in the UK and numerous brand leaders.
Vitabiotics guarantees the highest technological skills and a dedication to excellence.
- Why has Pregnacare® Breast-feeding been developed?
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding is a dual pack providing a postnatal micronutrient tablet and fish oil supplement formulated to safeguard the specific nutritional needs of this demanding time. It provides a postnatal micronutrient tablet including 700mg calcium and 10mcg vitamin D3, the recommended levels for lactation plus a specially developed Omega-3 capsule to provide a rich source of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and arachidonic acid (AA) for healthy foetal brain and eye development.
- Why are Omega-3 fatty acids important?
These fatty acids are passed to the baby via breast milk and form the building blocks of the baby's brain and eyes. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contains the recommended* 300mg DHA for pregnancy and lactation.
- When is Pregnacare® Breast-feeding recommended?
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding is recommended after childbirth to help safeguard your nutritional needs during breast-feeding, when specific nutrients are vital to production of nutritious milk. During breast-feeding, there are extra nutritional demands placed on your body and intake recommendations of certain nutrients are increased whilst lactating. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding can also be taken as a general postnatal supplement for 6-9 months following pregnancy to replace depleted nutrients, even if you are not breast-feeding.
- How pure is the fish oil in Pregnacare® Breast-feeding?
Only the purest pharmaceutical grade fish oil produced in Norway, has been used in Pregnacare® Breast-feeding capsules. To ensure maximum benefit the oil is carefully concentrated to increase its DHA and EPA content and further purified. Each batch is rigorously tested, certified, and fully compliant with stringent EC and WHO rules on environmental pollutants.
- What do I need to know before starting to use Pregnacare® Breast-feeding ?
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding has been carefully developed by a team of medical experts including highly qualified pharmacists and medical consultants, and is based upon solid scientific research evidence, as a nutritional safeguard for women after pregnancy whilst breast-feeding. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding replaces your usual daily multivitamin.
- Can Pregnacare® Breast-feeding be used alongside medicines?
As a general rule, Pregnacare® Breast-feeding can be taken alongside medications because it contains only moderate levels of vitamins and minerals. However, if you are already taking prescribed supplements or medications, seek advice from your doctor or health professional first. As Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contains vitamin K, if you are taking oral anticoagulants (e.g. warfarin) do not take Pregnacare® Breast-feeding except on the advice of a doctor. Vitamin K is not known to specifically interact with the action of aspirin or heparin.
- How many tablets and capsules does one pack of Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contain?
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contains 56 postnatal micronutrient tablets (two per day) and 28 Omega 3 DHA capsules (one per day).
- How and when should Pregnacare® Breast-feeding be used?
Two tablets and one capsule per day is recommended with or immediately after your main meal, with a glass of water or a cold drink. Taking Pregnacare® Breast-feeding with a large meal maximises the absorption of the nutrients, and can reduce nausea which is sometimes experienced if supplements are taken on an empty stomach. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding should only be taken on a full stomach. Always ensure that Pregnacare® Breast-feeding is taken with plenty of liquid to wash down the tablet and capsule. We do not recommend chewing the tablets or capsules because they have not been formulated as chewable preparations.
- Are there any undesired effects whilst taking Pregnacare® Breast-feeding ?
Pregnacare® Breast-feeding has no known side-effects when taken as directed. Do not exceed the recommended tablet and capsule intake. In case of overdose, seek medical advice immediately.
- Is Pregnacare® Breast-feeding suitable for vegetarians?
No. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding is not suitable for vegetarians as it contains a fish oil capsule. Adults can obtain DHA and EPA indirectly through the conversion of the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), present in vegetable oils such as flaxseed but this process is very inefficient. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contains fish oil as it provides a much more reliable, direct source of DHA, EPA and AA. The foetus and infant in early life need to receive these fatty acids directly as they only have a limited capability to convert essential fatty acids to more active long chain fatty acids such as DHA.
- Some Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) levels are above 100%. Is this safe during Breast-feeding?
RDA levels are calculated to help prevent the most basic vitamin and mineral deficiency states. The levels contained in Pregnacare® Breast-feeding are specific to normal requirements whilst lactating. This is why some levels of nutrients in Pregnacare® Breast-feeding are higher than the RDA (e.g. Vitamin D, the recommended level is 200% RDA). Importantly, all levels are safe and well within upper safety guidelines for daily self-supplementation.
- Does Pregnacare® Breast-feeding contain Vitamin A (retinol), because excess may be harmful during lactation?
No. Pregnacare® Breast-feeding has been carefully formulated to contain betacarotene in preference to vitamin A. Betacarotene (pro-retinol) is converted into vitamin A when and if the body requires it. The Omega 3 capsule in Pregnacare® Breast-feeding is produced from fish oils that are free from Vitamin A and therefore safe to take throughout pregnancy and breast-feeding.
- I have been recommended by my midwife/G.P. to take a supplement containing 400 mcg of folic acid per day, only for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Is it safe to take a supplement containing folic acid (like Pregnacare® Breast-feeding ), after this time?
It is perfectly safe to take 400 mcg of folic acid per day throughout the whole of pregnancy and breast-feeding. The UK Department of Health's Chief Medical Officer recommends that women planning a pregnancy should take a supplement containing 400 mcg folic acid daily, from the start of trying to conceive until the 12th week of pregnancy. Folic acid is vital during this period for the normal, healthy development of your baby's neural tube and nervous system. However, folic acid can be taken throughout pregnancy and postnatally to replace depleted stores, since it plays other important roles such as helping blood formation in both mother and baby.
- What happens if I forget to take my Pregnacare® Breast-feeding and miss a day?
A regular intake is recommended, but don’t worry, this will not have done any harm. Simply take Pregnacare® Breast-feeding on the next day when you remember, and take as directed. You should not take more than the recommended amount on subsequent days to make up for any day(s) that you have missed. Whilst it is important to take a supplement every day, if you miss one day this is fine because the beneficial effects of the vitamins and minerals build over time.
*ISSFAL(International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids) Workshop on the Essentiality of and Recommended Dietary Intakes for Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. National Institutes of Health (NIH) April 1999.
Please note that any health tips or advice provided are not intended as, and should not be regarded as a substitute for medical advice from your doctor or health professional.
Copyright ©2008 Vitabiotics Ltd.